West Towson Elementary School and the PTA Wellness Committee strive to encourage the physical, social, emotional, and mental health of all students. We are committed to providing an environment that enhances the development of lifelong wellness practices and motivates all students to be fit, healthy, and ready to learn.
By encouraging healthy and nutritious meals and snacks, exercise, and optimal rest, West Towson Elementary students will achieve a healthy balance to foster lifelong learning and responsible citizenship
WTES Taste Off February 25, 2015 9am-3pm
* School-wide taste testing event: students participate with their classes and try a food at each of the eight stations of fruits/veggies
* Students graph their most and least favorite foods
* Classes with 100% participation earn extra recess
**THIS EVENT RELIES HEAVILY ON PARENT VOLUNTEERS- Look for a SignUp Genius in February
Fit Westies Night February 27, 2015 6-8pm
* Families attend an evening of fitness with local fitness instructors leading four different 15 minute workouts
* Local fitness/wellness vendors will attend with giveaways, coupons and information to help families be more active
* Last year we were treated to an awesome demonstration by the fantastic Radical Ropers of Dumbarton Middle School!
*Check back for more information!
The WTES Healthy Schools committee and PTA Health and Wellness Committee are excited to announce:
The program is a cooperative initiative to increase physical activity during the school day. We are fortunate to partner with GBMC to make Paw Fit! a fun and healthy way for our Westies to be more active.
There is a vast body of research showing that exercise is beneficial to cognitive function, which means that exercise can have a positive impact on children’s academic achievement!
How it works:
On November 7th, we kicked off Paw Fit! Students participate in minimalist (little or no equipment!) exercise “bursts” with emphasis on good movement. Consistently good mechanics translates into physical competency, enhanced sports performance, and fewer injuries for kids.
Throughout the remainder of the school year, students will work as a class to complete activities at stations set up around the school. These are short, approximately 5 minutes each, and will encourage physical activity, teamwork and help boost learning.
For every ten stations completed as a class, each student in the class will earn a sneaker charm to display proudly (and encourage friendly inter-class competition).
Classes that complete the most stations will win an exercise party!
A great big Westy thank you to our sponsor: